Friday, July 13, 2007

Just Wading In


Hello all,

My name is Daryl Myer and I am from the woods of William Penn, specifically the Lancaster (think Amish) and Erie (think great lake) areas. I am currently an M.Div. student at Fuller and have about a year left to finish the degree. I live with my wife, Heidi and two children, Andrea and Landon on the corner of campus. We are expecting a new addition to the family in October.

I grew up in the farm country of Lancaster County. That area has a deep Anabaptist heritage and because of the German influence in the area, also a strong work ethic. Both of these factors have deeply impacted my life. I grew up in the Brethern in Christ denomination and spent the first eighteen years with my parents as they planted a BIC church, quite by accident.

I enjoy most any outdoor activity but especially trout fishing. I have spent countless hours in the mountains and elsewhere trying to outwit trophy brown, rainbow and brook trout. I feel close to God when I am breathing in His creation, wading the pools of life.

This class is stretching me to cast into new waters so that a whole new group of people might be able to hear and experience and live the text so that the Good News of Jesus Christ might dwell in them. I feel an apprehension to this new fishing for there is a large learning curve in navigating new streams, even some dangerous places to avoid, but it is also exhilarating because you never know what is around the next bend.

Tight lines to all (may you catch many fish),

Daryl Myer

1 comment:

Dan Butler said...

Congratulations Daryl, you demonstrated that indeed you were made in the image of God as you engaged beautiful creativity.1 Your storytelling talents2 took me along a visionary journey, and then you skillfully applied DJing and remixed your story with your intent to step into deeper waters in your ministry. You observed a very insightful perspective of scripture, that is: the Bible writers served as DJs themselves and appropriately mixed gospel and culture.3 Your visionary approach to lead the boomers of the congregation into a postmodern variety sounds discerning and perceptive: you will develop multiple voices4 and build a new community within the larger faith community to allow a smooth and natural transition.

1Steve Taylor, The Out of Bounds Church (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2005), p. 61.
2 Graham Johnston, Preaching to a Postmodern World (Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2001), pp. 155-162.
3 Taylor, pp. 139-144.
4 Steve Taylor, Syllabus for Living the Text in a Postmodern Context (Fuller Seminary Lectures, 2007) p. 56.